Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

City GOP Chairmen Come Clean on Disturbing Nomination Process

In conversations with the Daily News, three of the Republican City Party Chairs - Phil Ragusa of Queens, Craig Eaton of Brooklyn and former Staten Island chief Robert Scamardella - said they knew nothing of the investigation and were never contacted by the feds, but they had nothing to comment about Halloran role in the process.

Ragusa told Celeste Katz he first heard about the arrests on the radio this morning and "almost jumped out of bed." "Every time I spoke to Malcolm, anybody, even Carrion, I always made it clear to them that I was in John Catsimatidis' corner (and) I wouldn't be backing anybody else. I was the first one to back John -- Queens County was -- and that's where I stood," Ragusa said.


"Something was toyed with that they should give then all a chance to run in the the primary, but that never happened."

 Scamardella said the idea of Smith getting the green light for a primary bid seemed to fade away as other candidates -- particularly former MTA boss Joe Lhota -- got into the race.

"I met with Malcolm at my office (in the fall) and had a conversation with him there -- it was decent. He spoke to me about his position on stop and frisk and charter schools. As I took it, he tried to convince me that from an issue perspective, he was more of a Republican than I thought. I wasn't convinced; I wasn't unconvinced. I met him and I thanked him for coming to see me... My attitude, even in conversations with him, was I wasn't going to make any decision until I knew what my options were. He may have followed up with an email or two wishing me happy holidays or some such thing."

"[Malcolm] was never seriously considered by me and no other county chair ever indicated to me that they were committed to him in any way," Scamardella added.

Craig Eaton, who supported Carrion, called it disturbing. "From early September, I endorsed Adolfo Carrion for mayor based upon my firm belief that the Republican Party needed to be more inclusive, and we needed to reach out to Hispanics, men and women of color, young adults and others to strengthen and expand the Republican base, " he told Celeste Katz in a phone call conversation. "It is disturbing, what I've read in the papers today, and I was not aware of any investigation and have not been contacted by any authorities concerning this matter."

Councilman Eric Ulrich was enraged. “These county leaders are essentially looking to sell out to the highest bidder,” said Councilman Eric Ulrich, o His voice tense, Mr. Ulrich said he considered his party’s nominating process “demeaning” and added that he was concerned the charges could further erode the Republican image in New York. “We need to send a message once and for all that the Republican Party is not for sale,” Mr. Ulrich said.

Ulrich also took aim at state GOP chairman Ed Cox for leaving Ragusa and Tabone in control despite complaints about their behavior. He said Cox disregarded warnings about Tabone and others, and called on Ragusa to step down. “I want Phil Ragusa to step down immediately,” Ulrich said. “I want Bob Turner to become the interim chair. He’s the only man with the integrity that can bring unity and peace to the Republican Party here in Queens and restore some integrity and credibility to our party. If there was a time for Ragusa to go, it’s now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment