Blogger Widgets

Sunday, April 14, 2013

John Liu On Fundraising Investigation: Time To Move On

Speaking before a packed room at a candidates forum in the 44th AD at the Independent Democratic club, City Comptroller John Liu addressed his fundraising investigation, on the eve of the trail of his two aides starting tomorrow:

"I have to raise funds. I wish i didn't have to raise money, I wish I had as much money as Mike Bloomberg has. But i have to raise funds because I am about 9 digits short than what he has. So, I raised funds, and I followed the rules. In fact I am proud that I set my bar higher than anyone in the City... I happen to also be the only person who's got an investigation into my fundraising. They can investigate everything they want. They have been investigating for four years, reviewed a million documents, interrogated thousands of my supporters, but at the end of the day, the problem with this witch hunt is: There is no witch. So they can keep looking but with all the continuation I am not going to be distracted..."


Asked by District leader Jacob Gold why the Post has been bashing him. Mr. Liu, who recognized Sally Goldenberg from the Post covering the forum, said: "Look, the Post has to sell newspapers. So they can keep beating the jesus out of me, and they will sell newspapers."

Addressing the trial coming up, Mr. Liu urged the authorities to move on. "The fact is, if they have something they should do something with it," he said. "It is now time to put up or shut up. We are just months away from an election where the people of NYC get to decide."

No comments:

Post a Comment