Blogger Widgets

Monday, May 6, 2013

Catsimatidis Opposes Congestion Pricing: Americans Should Be Able To Dream Of Owning A Car

At a Park Slope civic council candidate forum, Republican mayoral hopeful rebuffed the idea of congestion pricing as a formula intended to encourage people using mass transit, coming in to the city. "I voted against congestion pricing. I was against congestion pricing," Mr. Catsimatidis said when asked whether he supports Mayor Bloomberg's idea of congestion pricing. "I don't think we should penalize people coming from the outer boroughs to New York."

"If people want to drive God bless them. That's what America is all about... I grew up on 135th street, and I wanted to work hard. You know why I wanted to work hard? So I can buy a car.. And you know what car I wanted to buy? I wanted to buy a GTO. Why? Because I wanted to. I worked hard and Americans work hard. They should have the ability to do what they want to do," he added.



Pressed by the moderator, about Mayor Bloomberg's argument that people should drive less because it contributes to greenhouse gas emission etc., Mr. Catsimatidis put on a blunt face: "So, Americans should not have dreams?" he asked. "I think we should build more efficient cars. But we should not restrict the american people who are having dreams... If you have a dream of owning a car, you should have a dream of owning a car," he added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment