Blogger Widgets

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Did Quinn Describe Goldman Sachs' Lloyd Blankfein "A Republican Leader"?

Mayor Bloomberg's friend, Goldman Sachs Group CEO Lloyd Blankfein hasn't endorse a candidate for mayor yet, but he expressed warm feelings about Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the Democratic front-runner. “I think she’d be a good mayor,” Mr. Blankfein said in an interview at a Human Rights Campaign event on Wednesday night, where he and Ms. Quinn both spoke, according to the WSJ. “I always liked her. I think if she were mayor, it wouldn’t be bad. I’d be happy.”

But that didn't automatically translate into a vote, writes Mike Vilensky. “We’ll have to see how things sort out. There might be other people who would be good mayors also,” Mr. Blankfein said. “You think this is my first rodeo? I don’t know who all the alternatives are yet. I haven’t made up my mind, but I think she’d be a good mayor.” Mr. Blankfein oversees about 8,000 employees at Goldman Sach’s headquarters in Lower Manhattan

In her remarks, Ms. Quinn praised Mr. Blankfein for backing same-sex marriage, calling Mr. Blankfein’s support and influence as a Republican leader “a turning point in the battle” and “a significant reason we won in 2011,” when same-sex marriage was legalized in New York state.

Mr. Blankfein, in his remarks, praised Ms. Quinn while also pushing back against her comments about him. “Christine you speak so well — now I know why you’re the speaker,” he said. “But I’m still recovering from you saying I have influence as a Republican leader. I’m not sure if either one applies, but I know the first one does not apply. I am a Democrat.” 

To which Ms. Quinn jumped in, saying she had spoken only of Mr. Blankfein’s influence “on Republican leaders,” not “as a Republican leader.” She added: “I didn't know your party status!”

No comments:

Post a Comment