Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Quinn On the Defensive For Non Commitment and Defense of Term Limits Referendum Overturn

Another day, another forum. What has already become a routine for the mayoral candidates, as every forum moves on, with the news of the day dominating at least a substantial amount of the times, John Liu keeps shining while Christine Quinn's shine starts fading more and more.

At least in this candidates forum hosted by the Brooklyn Reform Coalition at St. Francis College, Ms. Quinn was on the defensive the entire debate, with short periods of boos and heckling interrupting her answers.

Whether it was the budget, transparency  education or other local issues, Ms. Quinn seemed to bear the burden of the Bloomberg administration's policies, or at the very least her dominate role as Council speaker for not fixing what has to be fixed, while de Blasio, Thompson, Albanese and Liu all vowed for change.

The liveliest moment of the debate was when the moderator asked all the candidates whether they are willing to pledge not to overturn any public referendum, such as city term limits or others. "The answer is: Yes, and I will keep my word, Bill Thompson replied. "Democracy got suspended in our town, in 2008," said Bill de Blasio. "I was proud to lead the opposition in City council against mayor Bloomberg, and the answer is: Yes, I will respect the will of the people in any referendum."

"Any referendum? No," responded Christine Quinn, to which the crowd booed and heckled during her answer. "I am not going to tell you yes or no when I have no idea what is going to be put on the ballot in years from now. And on term limits, I made a decision.. based on the economic situation at the time. I believed it was the right decision." Here, she landed another piece of oppo research on Bill de blasio: "It was the same decision that Public Advocate de Blasio advocated for when he was running for speaker in 2005, at the debate we had.. At that moment and time, in the economics we were in, I believed it was right..I respect that many folks disagree with that we are going to have to agree to disagree," she said in defense of her helping Bloomberg get a thirst term.

To which Mr. de Blasio jumped to seize the moment in finding yet another issues to differ with Ms. Quinn. "The speaker said very clearly she's ready to undermine the democratic process  again, and I think people heard that clear," he said. "I didn't say I was willing to undermine the democratic process," Ms. Quin rebutted  "What I said was that I am willing to lead. And if something happened that was against the interest of the city as we have seen in California, we need to look at that evidence. I said as mayor I was willing to stand up and lead, and be judged by the voters and held accountable just as I was before. That's leadership," she explained to a mixed reaction of applause and boos.

Bill Thompson, who was basically a victim in the 2009 elections, went on the attack. "In 2008 we undermined the will of the people of the city of New York. It was not about our interest, it was about self interest. If there is one strength.. the  strength of our democracy is that it's not about one person, there is no one indispensable person in the city," he angrily claimed.

Over all, John Liu came out shining, with his charm and perfect answers, while Albanese, de Blasio and Thompson respectfully traded barbs on Quinn and each other in an intelligent manner. Ms. Quinn was not the queen or the darling at this forum. 

more reporting to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment